Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Next Big Thing

Being Bald has its positives and negatives…
  • I have been told that I look younger (No hair, thus, no gray hair)
  • I have been told I look taller (more forehead I suppose) 
  • I am told I can get a job at six flags if the other guy in the commercial retires. (I do not think I am that agile). 
  • I was talking to a grade school child in our church the other day, and he was confused. The voice he recognized was not coming out of the head it should have. 
  • I am told I have a “good head” for baldness. Who knew? 
  • Low maintenance is still the biggest plus to me!
The Next Big Thing

Well, I have finally, it appears, arrived at the front end of all that we have been doing has been moving toward. This is a very large hurdle in the treatment process. To pick up the analogy of several posts back (see: “As Long Climb Up A Big Hill,” — February 7), we are about to begin the final assault on this mountain to get to the top, the summit, where hope and a future reside. I look forward to getting the hard days behind me, and I look forward to recovering and being back doing what God has called me to do for however long He has that for me.

Ephesians 5:16 tells us to “redeem, or make the most of, our time, because the days are evil.” Not only that. They may be fewer than we think. Medically speaking, the doctor’s goal is to beat this Multiple Myeloma into remission and keep it there as long as possible. We hope that is at least five or ten (or more) years. I have already mentioned to God and the doctor that during my time of remission, it would be great if they developed the cure!

Only God knows how much longer any of us have. (Psalm 139:16) Suppose you knew you only had five more years. How would you use it for God’s glory? What would you do different? What would you keep the same? What relationships would you focus on? What sort of legacy would you like to leave? What would you stop doing? (Sometimes the “stop” list is more important than the “start” list, because there are many good things that suck time and resources from being able to do the best.)

It is too easy to get into a routine that gets us by but has far less meaning and impact than God intended or our lives. Taking time to re-focus, refine, and re-tune life is always a good thing, if we do it under God’s leadership. This applies first to our spiritual lives, but all other areas as well. Don’t wait until some circumstance forces you into reevaluation mode. Set aside time to do it now, starting with a prayer that goes something like, “Lord, I want to reflect you in every area of my life. I place everything on the table for you to deal with. What changes do you want me to make?” Have your pen and paper ready!

The Final Assault

Here is a bit about my schedule (tentative) during the stem cell transplant process.
  • Sunday, Monday, & Tuesday, March 14-16 - Outpatient at Emory each day to get an IV med that is supposed to help with the mouth sores that could come with the big chemo I will get on Wednesday. 
  • Wednesday, March 17 I am to be admitted to the hospital and receive the chemo that will wipe out my bone marrow. 
  • Thursday, I rest. (I hope that is true. Pray.) 
  • Friday, I will receive my stem cells back. I will get them like getting a blood transfusion. 
  • I will be in the hospital another couple of weeks so they can watch me very carefully since my immune system will be compromised and some of my blood products will likely get low. When/if that happens, they will give me some.
  • Once I am stable enough – Stem cells are working and important levels are stable or moving toward normal – I’ll get out of the hospital, but have to stay in Atlanta for another couple of weeks to go to the clinic for regular blood work. Whenever I achieve the desired level for everything, I will be able to come back to Augusta and be followed by my oncologist here.
How soon will I be able to resume regular activities? That depends on how fast is the recovery. But, for the first three months after I get out of the hospital, I will have to be very careful about where I go. They told April I would need to be treated like a newborn for three months. If you wouldn't take a newborn "there," then I shouldn't go either.

Prayer Requests:
  • That God be glorified in and through it all, and that he would use us to share His grace with others.
  • That the side effects will be minimal as the medications do their necessary work. 
  • That my stem cells would start working rapidly so that my levels would move quickly toward normal.
  • That my strength will increase even while in the hospital.
  • That the doctors wouldn’t practice but would know what to do each and every step of the way.

Thanks everyone. Your prayers are the essential ingredients in my recovery, because God is the Great Physician. Healing will come from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment