Saturday, February 20, 2010

Vulnerable




First, a few pictures. Left, the view from the Emory window last week (2.8-2.12). Atlanta's skyline is in the background. Nice view. Center, similar view on the Friday of the big snow. Right, I still have what little hair I have. It may be gone tomorrow, but for now, it is hanging on. Now, to more important things...

“But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that His life may also be revealed in our mortal body.”
2 Corinthians 4:7-11

This disease makes me very aware that this body is just a jar of clay. You can talk about “abs of steel” all you want, but nobody really has those. They are an illusion of strength over a very vulnerable body.

Paul is speaking of all the things he has experienced in his recent ministry, much of which I know very little about. But I get the clay jar image. That is the reality for all of us. The key in this passage for me is at the end. I am here so that His life may be revealed in my (very) mortal body. The only way for this to happen is reliance on the Spirit that lives in me to come through. If I am doing this by “Tom’s strength,” that is what will come through, and it likely will not be very positive. I want His life to come through this mortal body and life.

It is a revelation in some ways to discover just how vulnerable we are. In our culture, we tend to believe that we can fix anything, given enough time and resources, but sometimes things really are beyond our control, period. Whether it be a disease, or some life circumstance, it is an opportunity for God to show Himself faithful, if we will rely on Him and trust him to work.


Update:
Thursday I was having lots of trouble with dizziness, and went to the clinic of a regular appointment. The appointment went fine, but they determined I was low on fluid (dehydrated) so after two liters I was re-juice-i-nated and things have not spun around nearly as much. I still have to be careful when I stand, because some of the meds make you a bit dizzy anyway, but it is way better.

We have to make a quick visit to the lab on Sunday morning to check my blood levels in preparation for stem cell collection to begin on Monday morning, but hopefully that will not take much time, even if they have to give me some juice or blood or something.

Prayer requests:
Continue to pray that God is glorified in all of this, that stem cell collection will go smoothly and quickly (a couple of days rather than three or four) and that I will tolerate that procedure well.

Thanks! Your prayers are the essential ingredient in the treatment I receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment