Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Long Climb Up A Big Hill

Psalm 120-136 – The Psalms of Ascent 
It seems whatever I am reading regarding pain or struggle the writers often come back to this series of Psalms. These are Psalms of Ascent, sung by Hebrew pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem (elevation 2700 feet) three times per year for feasts (Unleavened Bread, Weeks, Booths–according to MacArthur). Many of these journeys started from as far as Asia Minor and Arabia (121:5a and 5b, respectively) so it was a long trip.

Here is what struck me about these Psalms:
1. They speak of the struggle. Travel to Jerusalem took determination. Most were on foot, and it took days, not hours.
2. They focus on the goal, not the journey: standing in the House of the Lord, being in Jerusalem.
3. They recount the previous blessings, provision and protection of the Lord.

These are all good things to do when faced with a big uphill climb. Whether it be a physical hill, a spiritual or emotional one, focusing on the Lord and his help in the past.

This Stem Cell thing sounds like a long hill to ascend. But I must remember that it is the hill, not the destination. My Jerusalem is long-term remission. Climbing isn’t fun, but being at the top of the mountain is great!

I remember my first trip to Romania. It was dreary every day of that trip in October 1991. Near the end of the trip I was in Brasov with friends. They took us up the mountain, and we took the cable car up to the top of Poiana Brasov. On the way up, we broke through the clouds. We got off the cable car and climbed to the peak. Just beyond the mountains, on the opposite side from the clouds, was the most beautiful view: a green, sun lit valley, complete with a tiny village at the bottom. From our high perch, everything appeared small, but beautiful. But the view was awesome.

Starting tomorrow, I am going for the peak. The climb may be difficult. But God is with me through it all. He knows all of it already. So pray that my focus stays on Him and the goal, not the climb. I am trusting Him to get me all the way to the peak! That is where there will be rejoicing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment