Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lay Them Down

Philippians 4:4-7
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I am sitting here getting my last treatment of cycle 2. It is a day early, but tomorrow is Thanksgiving. Then next week is my rest week. That will be nice. Thanks again to all of you for your prayers and encouragements. They are many of the things I am thankful for this Thanksgiving season.

Philippians 4:4-7 is one of my favorite passages. It is a choice to rejoice. Similarly, it takes exercising great trust to not be anxious. It takes prayerful, mental action. I do have moments, of course, but by laying these things at His feet, it is much easier to cope. As I write, the words to a chorus I learned when a counselor at Super Summer ’72 come to mind. Ken Medema was our worship leader. He may have composed this “on the spot” as he often did. Not sure if it was ever recorded, but it was powerful then and now.

"You’ve got to lay down your burdens at the feet of Jesus.
You’ve got to lay down, your burdens at the foot of the cross.
When the devil wants to ride on your back,
Just call on the Lord on your knees,
And lay down, your burdens at the foot of the cross."

When I do that… I mean really do that, then the peace of God, which passes all understanding does guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus.

Have a great Thanksgiving, and may the peace of God surround you as you lay your burdens at the foot of the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment