Monday, November 16, 2009

Attitude

A few days back I was reading Philippians 2:5-11. Paul calls us to have the same attitude that Jesus had. He is following up the previous five verses where he exhorts us to “do nothing from selfish ambition or vain conceit… but to regard others as more important than ourselves. Then he presents the standard by which we’ll all be judged—Jesus. In a day when I like to feel good about myself because my behavior is better than the latest miscreant in the news, Paul raises the bar seemingly out of reach. What was distinctive about Jesus’ attitude? ·
  • He humbled Himself even though he was God. The point here is that He did not hang on to his high status as God, but humbled himself and became a servant in the appearance and likeness as a man. He moved from God in heaven to a servant on earth. Remember Jesus washing the disciples feet?
  • He became obedient, even to death. Now that is submission to the Father’s will, plan and purpose. The outcome was that the Father highly exalted Him and gave Him a name above every name, that at the name of Jesus, every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Jesus’ submission and humility regarding his position on earth resulted in His exaltation. Why? To bring God glory.
Once again, the Word runs through my life-filter, and I see the attitudinal application for me. (Your application will vary.) I have this cancer, and I could be angry at God and everybody about it. I could choose to be depressed. So far, and by His grace, I am not angry or depressed. I could lay down and give up, but that is not submission. That is cowardice. So, I fight. I go to God. I go to the doctor. I take the meds. I do what I can. BUT, I trust this circumstance to God, because He is in control—now and forever. Hopefully, God will be glorified.

Attitude is huge.

Today, I began cycle two of Chemo treatments. Today and Thursday of this week. Monday and Wednesday of next. Many of you are praying for me, and again I want to thank you. You prayers and faith are making a difference. I got a report today that indicates the chemo is working. You have already heard that the first cycle side effects were minimal, and I am praying (and asking you to pray) that continues.

Pray, too, that I will pace myself, prioritize properly, and that God will raise up people to do some of the things I do so our church's media and mission work will go on without a hiccup, when I have to be out for some of the treatment regimen after the first of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment