Saturday, November 21, 2009

Keep Pressing On

Ever had a goal in sight, but knew that it was still a long way off before you achieved it? Sometimes, it is the homestretch that is the most difficult. What is even a bigger deal is that past performance does not guarantee success. If viewing life like a race, one may have a great start, and a solid mid-race, but the key is to finish well.

In 1973, some friends invited my to join them on a trip out west where we would back-pack into Havasu Canyon, and camp out for a couple of nights. It was an incredible trip. The beauty of God’s creation was obvious all around us. The only problem that to achieve the goal of seeing this place you have to hike in about eleven miles, and that was if you made no wrong turns. (We added a two mile excursion to our trip in.)

Having walked down, meant a couple days later, you had to walk back out – eleven miles. My cronies were in much better shape than I was in, but fortunately they were patient. The first nine miles of the trail were not too difficult. The terrain varied. There were places to stop. The start and middle of the trip were fine. It was those last two miles.

The next-to-last mile was a long approach hill, steadily climbing with no relief. The farther you went, the steeper it became. The last mile was switch-backs. There I was, stopping, starting, huffing and puffing. I was beginning to wonder if I would make it when some of my friends came and gave me a hand with the heavy water bottles I was carrying. They lightened my load, and eventually, I was back on top with everyone else. My friend’s truck didn’t look life heaven, but it sure felt like it as we road away from the canyon rim back to hot showers and an incredible meal.

Paul speaks in Philippians 3:14 of pressing on toward the highest goal of Jesus Christ. Perhaps the end of the race will be more like climbing those Arizona switchbacks than lounging on the beach on a South Pacific island. [Now, don’t read more into this than I am saying! I plan to finish quite some time from now!] For me, the phrase of the day is to “keep pressing” toward the goal of Jesus Christ.

Ebenezer.” For the past few days this word has been hanging around my mind. I don’t think it is because it is getting near Christmas and I am getting my “Scrooge-face” on. The word goes back to 1 Samuel 7:12, “Then Samuel took a stone and set it between Mizpah and Shen, and named it Ebenezer, saying, ‘Thus far the Lord has helped us.’ ” I echo those words: "Thus far the Lord has helped me." Your prayers for His help are being answered. Your friendship, encouragement, cards, and even gifts are expressions of His help. Thanks. Please don’t let up as I continue to walk each step with God through this time. May He be glorified!

No comments:

Post a Comment