Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Gaze and Glance

I was reading in Philippians 3: 1.
Paul reminds me (and us) to rejoice in the Lord. [Yes, no matter what, rejoice in the Lord.] You may not be able to rejoice in earthly things, but you can always rejoice in the One True God for He, His character and His ways are unchanging. He is not capricious in His dealings with us, but does everything for a greater purpose—His!

This rejoicing in the Lord is both a safe thing to do and a safeguard, because it keeps our eyes focused where they need to be—on Christ. One of the most helpful things I ever was taught (I am still learning) is where my focus needs to be when facing serious problems or circumstances. It was the “Gaze and Glance Principle.”

Think of a small (in my case rather primitive) drawing. You are a little stick figure on the bottom right. On the bottom left is the “wad of circumstance(s). At the middle top is a symbol for God. Use what works for you. Maybe just a big "G" as long as it doesn't look like a sports logo. Now, having decided on your God symbol, draw a solid line from your little stick figure eyes up to God, and write “Gaze” on it. Then draw a little dotted line from your little stick figure eyes to the wad over on the left, and write “glance,” on it.

Our gaze or focus, should always be on God. We have to glance at our circumstances, but if our focus is on Christ, then we will 1) Realize that our issues are small compared to our big God, and 2) we will be headed in the right direction. If we focus on our problems, then they overwhelm us. If we focus on God, then He surrounds us with Himself. Easy? No. Certainly not natural, but a far better way to live, especially when facing a what seems to be a Mount Everest sized “wad of circumstances.”

How do I do this? Mostly, it is talking to God a lot, throughout the day admitting my needs, fears, and hopes, as well as thanking Him for big things and little things. Spending time in the Word of God is most important, and keeps me from off-the-wall ideas that some would propose. Chewing around on what I have read is the key. Most of my writings here are ruminations on what I have just read, even though you may not see it for days or weeks. For me, another focus helper is music. I don’t have it playing all the time, but I enjoy and am encouraged by Praise and Worship, Hymns, Christian Rock (Hey, I grew up in the 60’s!) and Classical. I have limited appreciation for Country, Blue Grass, and Opera. (Your listening choices will vary.) What I play depends on my mood.

Got a “wad of circumstances” you want to get over? Where is your gaze? Fix it on Christ, and glance at your problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment