Friday, January 22, 2010

Groanings in Hope

Romans 8:22-25
We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

Groanings.
No, I am not in pain. Praise the Lord for that. Monday, as I was getting my IV started, the nurse was surprised that I could feel it more than normal. I told her she’d just made a direct stick on a nerve ending and it was mad. That is my level of pain so far.

These groanings are deep inside, perhaps beyond conscious thought, that yearn for the life that God created in Adam and now await every Christ-follower in Heaven. Somewhere, deep down, there is that desire for redemption and restoration that only the Father can provide. One day, when this body is redeemed for the final time, there will be no more cancer, allergies, back issues, front issues (fat), sinus problems or anything else.

Hope that is seen is no hope at all, Paul says. What I think he means is that you don’t have to hope if you already know its reality. However, he is not saying that hope in Christ is hoping in a “maybe.” And then he tosses that world “patiently” in there, describing how we wait in hope. That is a high standard toward which to strive, at least for me.

It is important to know that the Greek word for “hope” is very different from what we mean when we use the word. For us, when we say, “I hope…” it usually means that something is possible but not probable. For it to come through would be a wonderful surprise. For example, I hoped I could have the Stem Cell Transplant in Augusta, but I knew it wasn’t likely. If the insurance company had smiled on us, then it would have been a delightful surprise.

The Greek word for hope [“elpis” to anticipate, usually with pleasure or confidence.] Keyword Bible] is based in certainty, something guaranteed.




 
For the Greek scholars out there, I know the last letter, a sigma, should look like our "s", but my font didn't provide that.


Prayer Notes
  • Pray that the chemo is doing its job, and maybe start doing it better. There is a little monoclonal protein number that the doctors watch. They want it to be zero. Mine started out at 9.2, and right now it is 4 or 4 point something. If it comes down significantly, I could avoid some of the nastier chemo, maybe, before the Stem Cell transplant. 
  • Pray that all the logistical details can get covered before we start the big stuff at Emory. April and I both have lists, and they seem to be growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment