Saturday, June 7, 2008

Preparing for the SBC

I have been a Southern Baptist since I was a child. I'm not haughty about it. I don't think God likes me any better than any other believer because I am a Baptist of the Southern variety. However, I am grateful. This is where I cut my theological teeth. In fact, because I attended a Southern Baptist Seminary (Southwestern), the convention all but paid for my post graduate work. While I was in seminary and needing to eat, I had a job that began my learning about electronic media. It was on that job that I learned "many people think microphone and other cables stretch, and that is why you need to know how to re-solder the plugs." People still think they stretch, and I still solder the occasional plug.

The last, and only other time I attended the SBC meeting was in 1971. Yep. I was a college student, active in lots of National Student Ministry stuff and an active leader at the Baptist Center at UGA. (Go Dawgs!) I ended up being invited to be a part of a student group going to the SBC to let the "adults" know that we were not all a bunch of radical, drug using crazies. There were some of us who really wanted to follow Jesus. "Quit worrying about the hair. We're enjoying it while we have it." (See pic a right. Very little is left.) It was a great time. St. Louis, 1971. It was a business meeting, though. I think the meeting mixes a bit more inspiration with perspiration now. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom:
    I will look for your comments about the SBC.
    I'm delighted that you and April are going! :-)
    We'll try and man the fort here, although email will not be the same without Ms April!

    Praying for all,
    Phoebe

    ReplyDelete