Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Character or Talent

I was walking and listening to my iPod yesterday to a several year old interview with Erwin McManus, pastor of Mosaic in Pasadena, CA. He said some good stuff, but this comment arrested my thinking... “We need to run as fast as our character is deepening, and not as fast as our talents are expanding.”

It is so easy with our technology, educational opportunities, etc., to expand our talents and abilities, as well as gain new skills. However, it is our character that we need to focus on. Am I guarding my heart? (Proverbs 4:23) Am I seeking Him with all my heart? (Matthew 6:33). If I run ahead of my character, my footing becomes dangerous and unreliable. I am setting myself up for a fall.

Lord, keep me from being confident in myself, my abilities, my talents, my strengths. Help me to continue to grow up in you, and for my character to grow deep roots in your character.

No comments:

Post a Comment