Monday, July 5, 2010

Teaching-Preaching-Healing

Matthew 4:23-25

I am probably going to open a can of worms here…

Jesus began his ministry with a focus on the region of Galilee. The primary foci of his ministry was teaching, preaching, and healing. OK, Southern Baptist born and bred Tom, healing was one-third of his ministry. Even MacArthur agrees with that three-fold focus. If this was His focus on earth, why should it not be His focus, and the focus of the church (uh oh) in this present time? You know, it is just way too easy to say the manifestation of healing was given during Jesus’ ministry and the early church, but is no longer for today. I have never bought such explanations for the God who is “the same yesterday, today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8). How God chooses to do the healing is up to Him: Medicine, Miracle or Meeting. I have heard of or seen all three.

Healing is more than an outdated (“not for the church age”) visual aid to display the power of God. It is a necessity. Most places in the world do not have the medical advances that we do, so believers must look to God for healing. There are limits to medicine. I know this to be true in my own experience. Obviously, healing Multiple Myeloma is beyond the reach of current medical ability, and so are the aggravating allergies that have coexisted with me for nearly the entire time I have lived in Augusta. (I call this place “The Allergy Capital of the World.” The newspaper has put us in the top five worst places to live as far as allergies are concerned.) Medicine can only do so much. We tend to trust it far more than we should. I am very thankful for the medical care and expertise I have received over the last nine months. I expect it to continue for a long time! But healing comes from God.

The other two foci of his ministry are critically important. Physical healing relieves distress, pain, suffering, aggravation, and postpones death. But, for us, even God’s healing is rather temporary. Unless Jesus returns while we remain, we will, eventually, die. Ask Lazarus. Salvation comes through the “foolishness” of preaching (1 Corinthians 1:18, 21 KJV). Discipleship comes through the teaching. All are important.

Now, whether God chooses or has chosen to heal me is his realm. Whether I am healed on earth, or even in long-term remission, is up to Him. I know that when I am in heaven I will be completely healed. However, that does not mean we should not pray for healing, learn more about healing, and leave the faith door wide open to God’s working in ways we are not used to.

Update

THE APPOINTMENT is at 9:30 AM tomorrow, and they are usually running late. We will hear the report of the hundred days after the transplant. This is big. It will tell us what they have accomplished and what God has done. Just keep praying for a good report. We'll update you as soon as we can. God being glorified is what we desire (right along with a miraculous report)!

Soon I hope I'll have some cool July 4 pics up for you, but for now, just words. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment