Thursday, July 8, 2010

Backing God into a Corner is Not a Good Idea

Matthew 4:5-7 
The devil starts off like he did with the first temptation. “If you are the son of God…” trying, perhaps, to instill a bit of doubt in the head of Jesus. This time though, the devil even quotes scripture related to the Son of God. However, he takes verses about God’s protection and trusting Him and twists them into an invitation to presume on or test God.

Jesus quotes Deuteronomy 6:16 this time. “You shall not tempt [test] the Lord your God.” This passage is recalling the Israelites grumbling against God when water was in short supply. They got the water, but Moses named the location Massah (“test”) and Meribah (“quarrel). It will always be known for the people’s doubting of God: “Is the Lord among us, or not?” (See Exodus 17:1-7)

Presuming on God’s protection, provision, blessing, and deliverance is a bad idea. The “One time won’t matter,” or, “He’ll forgive me anyway,” mode of thinking is very dangerous spiritually and physically. Sort of the spiritual and physical equivalent to, “Hey Bubba, watch this.” The Israelites got water, but they’ll always be known as a whiny, quarrelsome bunch.

The Report from the Doctor (Tuesday, July 6)
My evaluation was “VGPR-Very Good Partial Response.” That means I am not healed, nor am I in remission. It means I will start a regular low-dose chemo to keep it beaten down.

How do I feel about all this? Mixed. I was hoping and trusting for healing, or at least remission. However, I am glad the response was good. The doctor likes my numbers, and that is encouraging. I continue to walk this road, trusting God for each day, and relying on you to continue to lift me up in prayer. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment