Saturday, July 17, 2010

Pre-Toddling

I have been reading When Life Falls Apart, by David Jeremiah. A friend gave me the book shortly after my cancer diagnosis. In the book, Jeremiah relates his struggle with cancer and what he learned from it. I started this book last fall, and then put it down about halfway through. (I am able to put almost any book down.) A week or so ago, I picked it up and began reading again. I came upon an illustration (page 122) that really resonated with me. Here is the short version.

The story revolved around a very proud grandfather and his little granddaughter. She was at the beginning stages of learning to walk. She was a "pre-toddler." You know, she crawls over to the couch, pulls herself up, and then stands there, wanting to move around like all the taller people around her, but not quite sure about the wisdom of attempting such locomotion. Grandpa did what almost every parent and grandparent has done. He got down on the floor and called to her to “come to papa.” [I don’t know why we so encourage our kids to learn to walk, because when they begin to walk, we begin to chase!]

After a bit of coaxing, she would leave her steadying grip on the sofa and head his way, only to fall each time. After a couple of attempts, grandpa arose and went over and took his little granddaughter’s hands in his. He helped her stand. Next, he raised her up just a little and positioned his feet under her feet. Then, together, grandpa and granddaughter proceeded across the room with little baby steps. She really wasn’t walking. Grandpa was doing all the work. She was completely dependent upon her grandpa’s ability and strength to get across the room. She was attempting to do what for her (at least at this stage of her development) was impossible.

I am a spiritual pre-toddler, and I must rely on my Heavenly Father to get me to the other side of this and whatever else life may bring. I am dependent upon His grip, dependent on His ability to guide my feet, and dependent on His strength to hold me up. Here are a couple of verses I hang on to (especially the first one). Proverbs 3:5-6 – "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths [my personal application: guide my feet]. Deuteronomy 31:6 – “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Health and Prayer Requests:
  • I got a haircut this week. Yep, its short and gonna stay that way. I have decided that I like getting up in the morning and my hair is "done."
  • Found my notes from my meeting with the oncologist in Atlanta on July 6, and was reminded that along with the low-dose chemo (pray that side effects are minimized, please) I will be taking something to strength my bones. That will be by IV, but may only be monthly, and takes an hour to get it in. (Side effects of this one are minimal, but you can still pray that they really are.)
  • I feel really good. Have lots of energy. One more prayer request: Pray that I will be able to keep this energy level or close to it, once I start the chemo. I have an appointment with my oncologist here on Friday. Then I'll know when I will start and what my schedule will be with it.
Near the end of the book (page 276), Jeremiah says, " …From my vantage point, there was one powerful factor that went the farthest to explain the success of my ordeal. I attribute my healing to the faithful prayers of the people of God—so many of them in scattered places. "

Your prayers still are the most important ingredient in treatment of my cancer. Doctors practice. God heals. 


No comments:

Post a Comment