Monday, September 8, 2014

I Can Plod

“As for you, brothers, do not grow weary in doing good.”
2 Thessalonians 3:13

“And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.”
Galatians 6:9

“I can plod,” said William Carey, the father of modern missions. “That is my only genius. I can persevere in any definite pursuit. To this I owe everything.”*

My Pastor used this quote in a message several months back. It resonated with me for two reasons. First, because these were the words of William Carey. Missionaries have to be able to plod. The easy places, where a Christian walks into a village, town, or city, and people embrace the gospel immediately are pretty much gone. Second, because I tend to be a plodder.

All of us like for life to be exciting, and to yield fast, positive, and voluminous results. But usually, it isn’t. Most of life is putting one foot in front of the other, and pressing on. If you have the attitude of a plodder, you will eventually get there.

Plodding is not piddling. Piddling is doing something with no end in mind. Plodding implies progression toward a goal, even if those steps are baby steps. It takes, as Carey noted, perseverance to be a plodder.

Don’t get discouraged! Keep plodding.



*Quoted by, Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). Be Comforted (pp. 108–111). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment