Monday, October 26, 2009

"Why" and "What"

Hi folks. The day after the first treatment has been okay. Thanks again for all the notes and prayers. One response that came today is this, and it sums up thoughts I have been working on in my head. I'll have more to say about this, but I know that the questions alluded to are questions many of you are already asking. It is okay to ask questions, though. God can handle them. He may not reveal all the answers, but the key is to remember who is in charge, and it isn't me. :-)

Here is what my friend sent me...

My Friend,

As we read through the Word, we often find people asking “Why,” yet we don’t necessarily like the answer God gives. “Why:” because God is sovereign and this event meets His plan. I believe God does not provide much detail for the “Why” question because it focuses on us. The full question we are asking is, “Why is this happening to me?” And the answer we often provide (like Job and like a teenager) is, “I didn’t do anything wrong.” Once we come to grips with the answer to the “Why” question - because we are clay in God’s hands, then we can ask the “What” question.

Ah, the “What” question. Now, here is a question our heavenly Father seems to answer readily and fully. The “What” question removes the focus from us and puts it on Him. “What do You want me to learn from this;” “What do You want me to say to that individual;” “What is Your purpose in this?” He will gently, lovingly, and kindly answer the “What” question.

The “Why” question kicks off a pity party. The “What” question focuses us on our Father. The “Why” question is easier to ask. The “What” question gives us a more rewarding answer.



Thanks Art. You have said it well.

For His glory,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment