Thursday, August 14, 2008

Irresitable Quotes, Part 2

I continue in my postings about The Irresistible Revolution, by Shane Claiborne. This first quote really hit me about the way we lead people to follow Jesus and then leave them there: “I came to realize that preachers were telling me to lay my life at the foot of the cross and weren’t giving me anything to pick up.”

[Tom, not Shane: In other words, new believers need to know what to do. I find that a great point. Just expecting people to figure it out on their own leads to people falling back into old ways. Let them know at the beginning that God has some special, life validating thing for them to do, like serving someone who needs it.]

He describes something he calls "Spiritual Bulimia" – [believers] consume large amounts of [spiritual] food but vomit it up before it has a chance to digest. [Ouch!]

“I used to be cool. Then I met Jesus and he wrecked my life.” (p.41)

“We decided to stop complaining about the church we saw, and we set our hearts on becoming the church we dreamed of.” (p.64)

“What would the world look like if we truly believed?” (p.84)

“Cynicism takes very little energy.” (p.100)

No comments:

Post a Comment