Monday, August 18, 2008

Irresistible Cross (Irresistible Quotes #3)

I am continuing with my series of quotes for Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. The first one here, though, really got me to thinking...

“… there is something profoundly unsettling about a church that has no crosses. True, the cross is not always seeker sensitive. It is not comfortable. But it is the cornerstone of our faith, and I fear that when we remove the cross, we remove the central symbol of the nonviolence and grace of our Lover. If we remove the cross, we are in danger of promoting a very cheap grace. Perhaps it should make us uncomfortable. After all, it wasn’t so comfy to get nailed there. (p.106-7)

I remember a conversation I had with a friend when I was in college. He was really turned off with the songs (hymns) we sing in church that talked about the blood. You know, "What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus..." "There is a fount that's filled with blood drawn from Immanuel's veins... " You know, just reading those words does seem a bit gory, but it reminds me of the terribly high price of my sin. The fact that Jesus Christ was willing to pay that price is incredible. The fact that the Father sent the Son to endure what He endured is even more amazing. As unpleasant as the cross may be, it is central to our redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment