Tuesday, July 8, 2008

KoG

“John Piper often reminds his readers about what we will present to God when we meet him face to face. Will it be our seashell collection? Will it be our low handicap in golf? Even though I like seashells and play golf whenever I get the chance, my point is that these are not to be all-consuming.” Mike Minter in A Western Jesus, page 148.

“Therefore my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain, in the Lord.” Apostle Paul in a letter to the Corinthian church (1 Corinthians 15:58)

“Weariness should come from Kingdom work.” — Mike Minter, page 149.

What does the Kingdom of God look like? In Rick McKinley’s challenging book, This Beautiful Mess, he spends a lot of time on that. He points out that Jesus said that the Kingdom of God is “here,” “near,” and yet it “is to come.” McKinley says it is “already” and “not yet.” The “not yet” part is in Revelation. The already is what we’re supposed to be about. Pastor Rick gives some great examples of what a few of the people in his church are doing to take the Kingdom of God to people. (Read the book. Turn off the screens and take time to read, think and pray. I don’t go for everything in the book, but most of it resonates. Your mileage may vary.)

I want to get a handle on the Biblical idea of “Kingdom of God.” And I want the western church to get it, and I want my church in particular to get it. Yet, I have to admit, catching hold of a Biblical concept of the Kingdom of God (KoG) and not the western re-interpretation of it is downright scary. It is radical.

From time to time, things happen in church life that make me want to rant, “What on earth does that have to do with the Kingdom of God?” The right answer is usually, “nothing.” It has nothing to do with the Kingdom of God. It is far and away usually a matter of taste, comfort, tradition or something else that matters little to God. Church in America is more about “my kingdom come, my will be done,” than it is about His Kingdom coming.

My grandfather taught me the concept of “good tired.” It is the feeling you get after working very hard and being nearly exhausted, but because you had been involved helping someone else, something with a higher purpose than self, it was a “good tired.” To echo Minter: “Weariness should come from Kingdom work.”

Kingdom work is work that matters, has eternal impact, changes lives, helps people understand who Jesus is and how He cares for them, even if most churches and church people don’t. A lot of what churches do is good stuff, but it isn’t Kingdom work.

Twenty years ago, I took my first overseas trip for the Kingdom. I have never experienced anything like it. It was like Pentecost. People were asking us to tell them about Jesus. I heard about a church in the area. It was the largest. Most were small. Every Sunday, though, two thousand people would walk (some for miles) to the meeting spot and gather around a tree in the hot African sun, and worship. God often reminds me of that when I am whining about the church building being too cold or too hot. They had nothing else on which to focus.

Are you weary because of Kingdom work, or has church just made you tired?

No comments:

Post a Comment