Saturday, September 4, 2010

Blessed Are The Mercy Givers

Matthew 5:7
"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy."

However, according to James 2:13, the converse is also true:
"Judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful." However, the last part of that verse is good news, "Mercy triumphs over judgment!"

I have a hard time thinking about mercy without thinking about grace—God’s grace. If you are my age or close, that may elicit a memory of a hymn: The last verse says, "Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace, freely bestowed on all who believe. All who are longing to see His face, will you this moment His grace receive? Grace, grace, God’s grace. Grace that will pardon and cleanse within. Grace, grace, God’s grace, grace that is greater than all our sin.”

Jesus isn’t just speaking of the grace and mercy of God toward me, though. He is speaking of the mercy I am supposed to show others. I take that is spurts. It is very little trouble for me to show mercy to a little kid, even one that is somewhat annoying—at least for awhile. Drivers who pull out in front of me elicit a less merciful response.  That isn’t right, but is the way I tend to react. 

Think about Jesus and the times he showed mercy. He showed mercy to those he healed. Perhaps He was showing a rather painful mercy toward the religious leaders he confronted by telling them the truth and pointing out their errors. He showed mercy to those who killed Him. He could have called down fire from heaven, and vaporized them on the spot. However, His mercy toward you and me was so strong that he willingly died, showing mercy to his immediate accusers and to us sinners far away in the future.

That is a level of mercy I know little about. I should show mercy as He does, to the homeless, to the needy, to the small, to the orphans and widows (scripture has a LOT to say about this) and toward whomever he brings in my path.

Bottom line. If I want people to show me mercy, I have to be merciful toward others, first.

Update
Went to the doctor on Friday. I get to do that every week, but I only actually see the doctor once a month. The other times are just to check in with the local vampires, uhm..., phlebotomist. (Blood letting seems to be a part of my treatment). This week, my number were back up, so I am back on my maintenance chemo, but every other day. We'll see how I tolerate this level of dosing. I never felt bad, but my platelets and white cell count dropped too low.

The only side effect I began to experience before they took me off the Revlimid two weeks ago was a little light-headedness upon standing. Not empty-headedness, just light. So, now, when I stand up, especially if I am in the middle of a room rather than near a wall which would withstand my leaning against it, I stand, and wait for, say, a ten-count. If I have my wits and my legs about me, I will move away from my chair. If not, I sit back down. You have to see the humor where you can find it.

Overall, I feel good—very good most days. That is an answer to your prayers. Keep them going up.
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment